Monday, March 22, 2010

I have eighty million dollars and I want to brand someone else’s website!
I have a little issue. Truly, it’s an ax I’ve been grinding for several months now. I get social. I really do. I have been involved with social media for years. I understand the allure, and I appreciate brands scrambling to get into the game.

But seriously, if you are a recognized brand with budget and a desire to be relevant in social media, can I recommend that you spend massive outdoor budgets posting your URL as www.mybrand.com/facebook in lieu of www.facebook.com/mybrand?
Do you know why? Because for one, you are the massive brand, not facebook. You can bold ‘facebook’ if you feel you need to make it more evident, but trust me, the crowd you are going after will get it.

Next, you should own the data. You put a simple redirect on the page and gather the data. You may discover when, where and who responded to your outdoor or print efforts. You can pixel and serve elsewhere, specific to that data. You could serve an interstitial during the redirect. You could do many things that you can’t when you send them directly to facebook.

Lastly, though I don’t think fb is going away, who knows what changes could come? Why take any risk at all? If you send them to your site first, spending your money on yourself and gathering data while still providing the cool social media illusion, you can redirect anywhere you want in times of need.

Think people. Think. If you want to spend a ton of dough on someone other than yourself, PM me for my routing and account number.

No comments: